Sunday 21 May 2017

Star Trek: The Starfleet Academy Experience


I'm a Trekkie from way back. I discovered Star Trek: the Next Generation at that ideal age for science fiction and it's been my favourite series ever since. Telus SPARK has been hosting the Starfleet Academy Experience since February and I just hadn't found the time to go until now. Boy was I glad we went. The conceit of the exhibit is that you are applying to Starfleet Academy. You answer a series of quizzes for the different Starfleet departments: medical, tactical, communications, science, engineering, navigation, and command. Each department also has activities like phaser target practice, learning some Klingon phrases, and the infamous Kobyashi Maru test.  On display are authentic costumes and props from all five Star Trek TV series. It was a thrill to see them up close and the activities were cute and fun. I felt like a kid again and my Trek-mania was reignited and bolstered by the Star Trek: Discovery trailer that actually looked good.


Dr. Crusher


Counselor Troi


Photon Torpedo aka Spock's coffin



Foam stunt phaser



Resistance is Futile



Chief O'Brien


Klingon


Worf








Uhura's earpiece






Geordi LaForge

Jadzia Dax






Ensign Mayweather

Movie Kirk


Captain Picard

Captain Sisko


Captain Janeway


At the end of the experience your funky wristband data tracker is scanned and you are given your results. I was slightly surprised to see that I had scored highest in communications with science coming in a close second. I really thought science would be my highest affinity. All in all a fun time. Live Long and Prosper!
The true face of the Master of the Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review by ISMOTU himself.