Monday 6 November 2017

Thunderstrike & Kronan Stone Man (MiniMates)


In honour of seeing Thor: Ragnarok on the weekend I bring you this bonus post of the first (and probably last) MiniMates 2-pack I ever bought. They are okay little figures but not really my cup of tea. I got this set because I saw it in a nerd store at a reasonable price. It is interesting how much our early experiences with pop culture can follow us a long time. My affinity for the character of Thunderstrike comes from a couple of the earliest comics I remember owning. These were from the time when Eric Masterson had become the Mighty Thor. When the original Thor returned Odin gave Masterson an enchanted mace, Thunderstrike, from which he took his new superhero name. Thunderstrike's costume design proves the the 90's didn't just affect Image Comics or the X-Men. But I love it. The Kronan race first appeared as the "Stone Men from Saturn" in Thor's very first appearance back in Journey into Mystery #83 in 1962. They were pretty generic Silver Age aliens but the character of Korg who appeared in "World War Hulk" became the most famous. Doubly so now that he appears in "Thor: Ragnarok" and steals most of the scenes he's in.




 
Ponytail? Check.


Grumpy Face? Check.

Leather Vest? Check.

Gigantic Impractical Boots? Check.

Chains? Check.

90's checklist complete.

Odin even monogrammed it for him.

THOOM!

Old Man Masterson, the future series no one is asking for.

Pouty man, tiny hammer.

Clearly a redeco of the Thing.





His elbows are quite restricted.

Space-age loin cloths are all the rage.


"Say hello to my laser friends..."




"I started a revolution once..."

Battle Begin!



"Thunder..."

"...STRIKE!"

Krack-a-boom!


"I'll try on your boots."

"They are no more ridiculous than my own."

"These feel a bit small."


"MACE TO THE FACE!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review by ISMOTU himself.