Sunday 4 February 2018

Kamen Rider Kuuga Mighty Form (S.H. Figuarts Shinkocchou Seihou)


Kamen Rider Kuuga heralded in the Heisei era of Kamen Rider television back in the year 2000 and is one of my favourites. Previously I spotlighted his "Growing Form" and today I'm going show you his red armoured base form. This figure is from the Shinkocchou Seihou sub-line of S.H. Figuarts and is definitely the beneficiary of several more years of action figure engineering research than the earlier figures. Gone are the die-cast feet, the shoulder pads are much more elegant, and the range of motion in the shoulders and elbows is improved but I think the hips don't have the same capacity for doing the splits. That said there are no major holes or cuts in the sculpt so the figure looks intact in every pose. The matte black of the arms and legs is great and really helps the glossiness of the chest to shine. I've gushed about how much I like Kuuga before and this figure is an excellent example of how great the design is. Now I just need to track down the Tamashii-Web Exclusive Amazing Mighty Form and Ultimate Form figures then I'll have a representation of all 11 Kamen Rider Kuuga forms.






Hypnotically shiny pecs.



I like how the belt is kind of a mash-up of the original Kamen Rider's Typhoon belt and Kamen Rider Black's King Stone belt.








 Obligatory Henshin Pose Sequence:
Belt appears out of nowhere.



HENSHIN!





Bloop! Early CGI makes way for the deliciously designed Kuuga suit.

SH Figuarts have got those compound eyes DOWN to perfection.


I love how the mouth-plate is still slightly insectoid but could be interpreted as just like the weird writing of the Linto tribe inscribed on Kuuga's armour.


Kuuga the orator.

Thumbs up! Before it was a big thing in Japan?

I'm not sure if this came from the show or was a thing the actor brought to the role.



Sweep the foot back...

...Leap into the air...

...Rider... KICK!

Detailed to the sole. 


"Look ma, no stand to hold me up!"

Kame-ha...

...oops wrong long running beloved franchise.

AHH! Gurongi attack!



Old v. New

I like the contrast between these two because the Growing form is weaker than the Mighty form.

"What WHAT?!"



Shake it up.

Kuuga wins Battle of the Bands.


Leapfrog Riders!



Awkward kudos!


The end credits have Godai sleeping on the ground in the park.

For some reason.

Who's quirky and always has a thumbs up hand?

This guy!

1 comment:

  1. I'd have looked at more pictures by the shiny hypnotic pecs made me loose track of time! Cool figure!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be posted after review by ISMOTU himself.