Sunday 13 January 2019

Aquaman (DC Icons)


Arthur Curry is the King of the Seven Seas, Aquaman! I have been an Aquaman fan since I was a kid. I loved to swim, I had the Super Powers Aquaman figure and a VHS tape of episodes from the 60's Aquaman cartoon. 


Aquaman is an example of my affinity for the less popular characters. Though it's hard to say that a character headlining his own blockbuster film is less popular anymore. I have a bunch of Aquaman figures, more than those featured here and here, but I didn't have a good "classic" Aquaman so after some resisting I finally broke down and scooped him up. 



This guy is basically the Super Powers figure with better articulation and accessories. Although his "trident" (I know it has more than 3 points) is virtually identical to the long lost one that came with my 80's Aquaman. The real clincher for me was including the little clear plastic "telepathy" accessory that pegs into the alternate head. It's awesome.









A nice classic Aqua-face.


The two tones of orange on his torso do bother me a little bit but on the shelf it's not so noticeable.

His belt buckle started out as an "A" for Aquaman, then a stylized "A", and now is an Atlantean glyph of some sort. Similar to the evolution of Superman's S-shield.



Finny gloves, probably don't make you swim faster.




I love the shiny orange scales.





At one point these fins on the back of his legs were actually a part of his body. Not sure if that's canon anymore.




Open hands.






Summoning his fishy friends.

What's that? You can't see anything?

That's better...

Not a Cone of Silence, but a silent telepathic cone.



"VUU VUU VUU VUU VUU" is the modern accepted sound effect but I always hear this.




This is so silly but I love it so much.



"Holy Hole-y Forehead Batman!"

Classic pose.


Trident of Poseidon


It's seriously just a scaled up version of the Super Powers trident and I'm down with that.








One could argue that the two smaller points shouldn't affect its name. I'm not enough of a pedant to actually wade into that discussion though... ;)




Aquaman vs. Ocean Master

I actually have a Silver Age Ocean Master figure but it's boxed up at my dad's place somewhere...

When I finally get it to my place (halfway across the continent) I'll post a rematch.


KLANG!

Sound actually travels faster through water than through air.

The first major Aqua-costume change




The three most significant Aqua-looks.


Aqua-family squabbles.



He could've used swimming hands, but looks pretty great regardless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review by ISMOTU himself.