Sunday 18 March 2018

Iron Man (Marvel Legends Retro Series)

It seems very bizarre to me that a wave of Marvel Legends figures meant to harken back to toys I had as a kid are being labelled "retro" or "vintage." I mean I'm probably too old to still be collecting toys but I'm also not THAT old. Regardless I did get a kick out of the backing cards that look exactly like the ones from the early 90's "Marvel Super-Heroes" line. Looking back I was a pretty spoiled kid because I had basically every figure from the first two waves of that line and also the zany "Training Center" that looked nothing like anything from the comics. Well aside from throwback packaging this figure is a modern Marvel Legends representation of Iron Man in the chunky armour designed by Bob Layton in 1988. This basic design defined Iron Man for the next few years and even though it's not exactly what appeared in the Iron Man cartoon it's what I picture when I think of the Iron Man cartoon. Memories are weird. He's a decent figure but a little weird and I'm wishing he came with a couple alternate hands but that's probably asking too much. The little boot jet accessories are fun though.






Honestly the only other one of these that's really tempting is that Wolverine. Which would make for the one and only Wolverine figure I'd likely ever buy.


Instead of "action features" we get accessories now.






I can see why some fans dubbed this the "coffee can" armour.





The legs have an interesting texture that doesn't show up well on camera.







"Eat Repulsor Ray!"


"FWOOOSH!"


We have lift off.




"Here I come to save the DAAAY!"


Armour Buddies


The peg for the boot jet was a big big for the wrist socket but since it's so rubbery I managed to jam it in.

Good for a few quick pics, but I don't recommend it long term.





2 comments:

  1. Cool.I like this classic armor. I can definitely tell it apart from the million of other Mark ___ armors that he has (and dammit there are so many). Too bad they didn't have repulsor blasts made for his hands specifically. Still nice though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there are so many armours! And not all of them are this distinctive. I read conflicting sources about whether this was the Mark VIII or Mark IX so I decided to just avoid getting specific.

      Delete

Comments will be posted after review by ISMOTU himself.