Sunday 11 June 2017

The Ice Warriors (Doctor Who)

In honour of last night's episode of Doctor Who "Empress of Mars" I've trotted out the two Ice Warrior figures I've got. The Ice Warriors are a reptilian race, indigenous to Mars who live encased in cybernetic armour. They first appeared in a 1967 serial with Patrick Troughton's Second Doctor. I've had a fascination with Mars from an early age so when I discovered the Ice Warriors their Martian heritage made them favourites of mine. As Doctor Who monsters go the Ice Warriors were used fairly sparingly appearing in only 4 serials in the original run of the show.

Both figures are based on the modern design introduced in the Eleventh Doctor episode "Cold War" and represent the character Grand Marshal Skaldak. The first figure is actually an Eaglemoss Collections 1:21 scale statue. He's got no articulation but the sculpting and paint is amazing. The second is the Underground Toys 3.75" figure. Articulation is limited but better than I expected honestly.



Eaglemoss




"Icccccce Warriorsssss"

Gorgeous scales.






The Red Eyes of Mars



Try shooting through that hide.





Underground Toys
"Why my kneesssss hhhhurt?"


Bulky but not as pudgy looking as the original costumes.




Not quite as crisp a texture and certainly less paint but still looks good.



Three fingers of DOOM!






Dance Machine



Sentinel of the Spaceways...


Galactus called with a job offer.



This is more of a fencing stance.


This must have been an uncomfortable costume to wear.



"They flipped the b*%@#!"

Ice Warriors Unite!




"Grah! Nothing fazes you"

"..."

"I can't take it anymore! Just emote already!"

"Hsss"

"Forget it. I'm going to see Tars Tarkas. He's in touch with his feelings!"



"What are you doing?"

"I be jammin'"

"Please stop."


"Hey man, it's all good. We'll get the Doctor next time."


"Look over there! A Dalek!"






This TARDIS is a bit out of scale.

The Ice Warriors are meant to be about 7 feet tall.


I didn't have any Martian Manhunter figures on hand so Jemm, Son of Saturn will have to do.

"Do you guys know my cousin J'onn?"

Now I need to track down the 5.5" Classic Ice Warrior figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review by ISMOTU himself.