Sunday 3 September 2017

NECA Godzilla 1985

And we're back! With the King of the Monsters, the grand-daddy of all kaiju, Gojira, the ape-whale himself... GODZILLA!

NECA has released a variety of Godzilla figures each based on a different look from a different era of the films. Choosing the right Godzilla for me took some thought but I settled on the version from "The Return of Godzilla" which was released in the Western world as "Godzilla 1985."  This film renewed Godzilla's presence on screen after nearly a decade of dormancy and is considered the first of the Heisei era films even though it was still the Showa era when the movie was mad. NECA's original 1954 version was too grey and the later versions were just not the definitive Godzilla in my mind. This guy scales pretty well with the SH Monsterarts figures but at a much lower price point. I would love an "atomic breath" effect part but I can deal. Articulation is inherently limited with monster figures and I find the difference between this guy and the Monsterarts dudes I have is not that great. But zero accessories.



The tail is made of segments where it is thicker but the smaller end is bendy rubber around a wire like back in the day.





Brush those teeth, you've got radioactive plaque


I love the slightly cartoonish eyes, though they are less silly than the Showa design.


The texture captures the look of monster skin as well as rubber suit. Noice!



"At least my arms are longer than T-Rex!"





Unfortunately the fins don't glow...




Kaiju Stomp!



Bring it..



You talkin' to me?


Godzilla's always been amphibious




Soliloquy time for a pensive monster




Gojira Ears



Skreeeooongk! 





"MOTHRAAAAA!!!!"

Don't worry little guy, Godzilla will protect you.

2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty sweet treatment of the figure! I agree about the accessories though. Some atomic breath effect would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. There are so many Godzillas to choose from. NECA repainted this figure in a pixelated teal to represent the video game version which was also tempting but not definitive enough.

      Delete

Comments will be posted after review by ISMOTU himself.